G.W. Wade and J.H. Wade
Part 5 out of 5
(1) aumbry in N. wall of sanctuary, (2) richly carved font. Externally
should be observed (1) panelled W. door, (2) canopied niches in
buttresses at E. end, (3) sanctus bell-cot. John Locke, the
philosopher, was born here, as his mother was at the moment staying in
the village. A tablet once fixed to his actual birthplace is built into
the churchyard wall. There is also a tablet in the church to Hannah
More, who resided at _Barley Wood_, a large house on the Redhill road.
_Writhlington_, a small colliery village on a hill 1 m. E. of Radstock.
The church, rebuilt in 1874, lies in a valley at the bottom of a steep
lane, half a mile from the village. Near the church is an old manor
house, at which Cromwell is said to have stopped on his march into
_Wyke Champflower_ (or _Wyke Chapel_), a hamlet 1-1/2 m. W. of Bruton.
The little chapel, said to have been built in 1482, was rebuilt in
1623. It contains a stone pulpit, and the ceiling is ornamented with
nine escutcheons, including those of the Tudor sovereigns. There is an
old black-letter Bible of 1623.
_Yarlington_, a village 3 m. S.E. from Castle Cary. The church, which
has been much altered and enlarged, contains a finely carved font. In
the wall of the churchyard is an old stone coffin, found during the
restoration of the building.
_Yatton_, a large village (with a station), 12 m. S.W. of Bristol. The
first syllable is perhaps the same as the second part of _Symond's
Yat_. The place has an interesting church, with a central tower which
is rendered conspicuous by being surmounted by a truncated spire, and
by having its stair-case attached to a diagonal buttress (instead of
replacing it, as is usual). The plan of the church is cruciform, the
transepts and chancel being short, and the latter very low. The oldest
part is the base of the tower, which belongs to the E.E. or Dec.
period; and there is a very good Dec. window in the S. transept; the
remainder of the building is Perp. Externally, the most impressive
feature is the W. front, with turrets at the corners (as at Crewkerne),
a recessed and richly carved doorway, and above the window a
representation of the Father holding the crucified Son (cp. S. Brent).
The S. door has a groined and panelled porch, and the N. door an ogee
moulding. Within, the nave is lofty, with slender pilasters ascending
to the roof. In the N. transept is the alabaster tomb of Sir Richard
Newton (d. 1448) and his wife; and under foliated recesses a male and
female effigy (attributed to the 13th cent.). Attached to this transept
is a chapel which is noticeable for being loftier than the adjoining
chancel, and has a fine turret at its N.E. angle. It contains a
pillar-piscina, and the tomb of Sir John Newton (son of Sir Richard)
and his lady, above which is a relief of the Annunciation. S.E. of the
church is the Rectory, dating from the 15th cent., whilst on the N. are
some old alms-houses.
YEOVIL, a town of some importance on the river Yeo, in the S.E. corner
of the county, doing a considerable trade in the manufacture of leather
and kid gloves. Its population in 1901 was 9838. It lies chiefly on a
slope which shelves down towards the little stream from which it takes
its name. The G.W.R. and L. and S.W.R. have a joint station in the
town, and another G.W.R. station is at Pen Mill just outside. Yeovil
seems to have outgrown its original intentions and is still rapidly
increasing. The older streets have the usual congested appearance of a
small country town, but more spacious thoroughfares are now spreading
outwards in every direction. The chief glory of the place is its fine
church, remarkable alike for architecture and situation. It is a
cruciform Perp. building, said to date from 1376, with a severe-looking
W. tower. The interior is of great impressiveness owing to the size of
its windows and the loftiness of its arches. The most noteworthy
feature of the church is its 13th-cent. crypt, now used as a vestry. A
groined roof rises from a central pillar, and the entrance to the
communicating stairway is groined also. Otherwise the church, though
noble as a whole, is somewhat devoid of objects of interest. Note,
however (1) the fine roof, (2) old brass lectern with ungrammatical
inscription, (3) 16th-cent. brass on floor of chancel, (4) 15th-cent.
brass to an ecclesiastic. Yeovil contains few old houses, as it was
burnt out in the 15th cent., but in Middle Street two buildings deserve
attention: (_a_) an old chantry house, now transformed into the
"Castle" Inn, (_b_) almost immediately opposite, the "George," a good
specimen of an old half-timbered hostelry. Some alms-houses in Bond
Street, called Woborne's alms-houses, go back, as a foundation, to the
reign of Edward IV. (1476). A good view of the low lying alluvial plain
which stretches around the foot of Glastonbury Tor may be obtained by
following for a short distance the road to Mudford. But this is only
one of the many interesting walks in the neighbourhood: Yeovil is a
good centre for excursions, and Windmill and Summerhouse Hills should
both be climbed.
_Yeovilton_, a parish 2 m. E. of Ilchester. Its church retains but few
features of interest, but notice should be taken of (1) the remains of
the stoups in the N. porch and at the W. door; (2) the two piscinas
(that in the chancel has a quaint carving below it); (3) the bracket in
the S. wall of the nave, and the old corbels built into the walls of
the chancel; (4) the fragments of ancient glass in the W. and E.
windows, the former displaying the arms of Bishop Beckington, and the
latter having the letters R.S. and the figure of a swan, the initials
and rebus of Richard Swan (one of Bishop Beckington's executors), who
was rector here. There is also an incised slab to the memory of Sir
John Hunt of Speckington (d. 1626). One of the bells dates from 1435.
[Illustration: NINE SPRINGS, YEOVIL]
Places of interest mentioned in the text, but not entered under
separate headings in the alphabetical list. The figures refer to
Barlynch Priory 122
Blackmoor Farm 75
Bower Farm 127
Brymore House 77
Creech Hill 130
Devil's Punch Bowl 80, 182
Dundon Beacon 107
Ebbor Rocks 283
Gaulden Farm 246
Goblin Combe 98
Gothelney Hall 83
Gurney Street Farm 78
Halswell House 146
Hanging Chapel 169
Hare Knap 156
Hautville's Quoit 224
Higher Wadeford 106
Holwell Cavern 32
King Ina's Palace 205
Lamb's Lair 80, 149
Lytes Cary House 84
Marshwood Farm 78
Mouncey Castle 122
Mynchin Buckland 127
Naish Priory 105
Parkfield Monument 117
Richmont Castle 149
Sedgemoor 18, 88, 273
Seven Wells Combe 213
Sexey's Hospital 68
Small Down 90
Stoney Littleton 254
Sutton Court 234
Tarr Steps 122
Walton Castle 103
Wansdyke 11, 52, 129
Weary All Hill 145
INDEX OF PERSONS
Bennett, Rev. W.J.
Berkley, Sir M.
Botreaux, Sir W.
Bradney, Joel de
Bray, Sir R.
Briewere, William de
Buckingham, Duke of
Cheddar, Sir T. de
Choke, Sir R.
Clarkes of Chipley
Courtenay, William and Robert
Coutances, Bp. Geoffrey of
Danbery, Sir Giles
De Courcy family
De la Mere, Sir J.
Denham, Sir J.
Douay, Walter de
Dummer, Sir J.
Dummer, Sir W.
Dyves, Sir Lewis
Edmund Ironside, King
Eveleigh, J. de
Evercy, Sir Peter d'
Fairfax, Sir T.
Fitz-Roger, Sir H.
Gates, Sir J.
Gorges, Sir E.
Grenville, Sir B.
Gyvernay, Sir G. and Sir R.
Halswell, Sir Nicholas
Hammet, Sir B.
Hautville, Sir J.
Henry of Blois
Hertford, Marquis of
Hext, Sir R.
Hopton, Sir R.
Horner, Sir G.
Hugh of Avalon
Hunt, Sir J.
Irving, Sir H.
Joseph of Arimathea
Kemble, Rev. C.
King, Bp. Oliver
Kingsmill, Sir F.
Lawrence Sir T.
Marchia, Bp. de
Marlborough, Duke of
Misiers, Louis de
Mohun, William de
Monmouth, Duke of
Mowbray, Robert de
Nelson, Rev. Earl
Newton, Sir J.
Newton, Sir R.
Orange, Prince of
Parry, Sir J.
Prowse, William and Ann
Raleigh, Sir W.
Robert of Normandy
Servington, Sir O. de
Stawel (Stawell) family
St Maur, John
Thomas a Becket
Verney, Sir J.
Verney, Sir R.
Villula, Bp. John de
Wagstaff, Sir J.
Waller, Sir W.
Warr, Lord de La
Wellington, Duke of
William of Gloucester
Wood (father and son)
Wyndham (Windham) family
Back to Full Books